Sunday, March 24, 2024

A Tale of 2 (Straight) Keys

The Vibroplex and the Begali

I never thought I would become one! But like the cliched cat lady with many cats I have become an OM with many CW keying devices. However, that will be the subject for a discussion another day! Today I want to talk about two of the straight keys and the interesting differences in the way I operate them. The following video demonstrates the difference:




I made a gross simplification in the video. There are subtle differences in the keys in terms of their heights above the table plane and the height to the top of the knobs as shown below. But the difference is subtle and I did not think they would have mattered, but yet they do

Picture showing the profile of the two keys
Differences: Vibroplex on the left


I did not know of the operating style differences between Europe and North America when I initially tried both keys and was having issues with the Begali. But I ran into the following this link which prompted me to try the variations. The results really surprised me...Does the Begali know it is European? Does it want to be operated the European way? Pray tell me...

1 comment:

  1. I have observed the EU method for years. It should be obvious that holding your arm up for hours is tiring as compared to resting it on the table. For me the most comfortable method is to put the key directly under your nose, turn it parallel to the table's edge and rest the forearm on the table aligned with the key. This is most natural but of course totally in your way of doing anything else...hi hi

    ReplyDelete

My Journey to QRQ: From Zero to 35+ WPM

I t is no secret: I am a CW aficionado. I was originally a ham back in the 1900s, but I never operated on HF during that time. Living in a t...